Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 11:53:25 -0400

I'm not sure how things work "down under" but in the U.S. there is a
great deal of age discrimination against young IT workers.  You can
pile on cert after cert and develop the kind of real skills that most
IT professionals don't have but you'll run into a brick wall.  Why?

Think about it.

If they bring you on without experience (experience really means that
you showed up somewhere and collected pay checks for a period of time)
and you fail, their judgment is now in question.  If they bring you on
at 1/3 the Senior guy's pay and you perform well and demonstrate
technical mastery far above what is expected, management looks at that
as a reason to fire the Senior guy and replace him with another "kid."

It's a lose-lose proposition for the senior IT guy.  You'll be stuck
on the help desk for years and years.

Go to college.  I believe you have 3 year programs there, yes?
Reasonably priced tuition, yes?  This is a no brainer.  Study computer
science for 3 years and use your free time to do real learning.

Anyone that has been through the college system (in America) will tell
you that a degree proves nothing more than the ability to read and
write reasonably well and enough of a work ethic to do the work
assigned.  If you want to actually be good at something it takes more
than clocking in and clocking out 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday.  That's
true in any field of human endeavor.

When you are done you'll be a "new grad" rather than "some kid."  By
the time you're in your mid-20's the age discrimination starts to fall
off and people might even take you seriously.  With those certs you've
already demonstrated more motivation and legitimate interest in IT
than most.

That's my opinion.

Steve Mullins