Secure Coding mailing list archives

Java keystore password storage

From: "john bart" <sysadmin256 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:26:33 +0100

Hello to all the list.
I need some advice on where to store the keystore's password.
Right now, i have something like this in my code:

keystore = KeyStore.getInstance("JKS");
keystore.load(new FileInputStream("keystore.jks"),"PASSWORD");

the question is, where do i store the password string? all of the
possibilities that i thought about are not good enough:
1) storing it in the code - obviously not.
2) storing it in a seperate config file is also not secure.
3) entering the password at runtime is not an option.
4) encrypting the password - famous chicken and egg problem (storing the
encryption key)

Any ideas?