Secure Coding mailing list archives

Software security != security software

From: Greenarrow1 at msn.com (Greenarrow 1)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:18:05 -0800

Hi Gem,

Microsoft still suffers from the lack of properly correcting flaws within
their operating systems in a mannerly fashion.  Myself, I feel until
Microsoft proves to me that they can safe guard the system I would never
allow them to secure my computer(s).  I have tested Vista, Window Defender
and other security programs MS has created, and while Vista I applaud the
lock down of the kernel I have found Defender to be lacking in security.
Creating a program like this must protect against all malware and not what
Microsoft decides is malware, ie, some third party partner programs which
garner information which would be considered spy ware are not blocked by
Defender.  This is one illustration of guarding the henhouse.  I could name
a few more but that still would not deter the inevitable.

Regards,
George
Greenarrow1
InNetInvestigations-Forensic