Secure Coding mailing list archives

re-writing college books - erm.. ahm...

From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 00:41:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Crispin Cowan wrote:
Sure, there are likely to be ways in which SML is better than C# or
Java. However, in security, the perfect is all to often the enemy of the
good-enough. The big community hears security people talk about the high
security approach that security geeks really want, consider the costs,
and go back to doing things the old way, and ignore the security people.
If security people instead pitch something that is feasible and makes
the situation better, instead of asking for the moon, we will make more
progress.

Crispin

(not directed at you, Crispin)

So, "dump C", "Use SML", "What secure coding classes are you doing?" and
"we are already doing it!!" are the responses I got when I started this
thread.

Can someone mention again why re-writing the main often-used and probably
less than 3 mostly-used basic programming books is a bad idea?

All of us will still have a job in 5 years if we do this, even in 25. I
promise.

        Gadi.