Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: Secure Coding Certification

From: pmeunier at cerias.net (pmeunier)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:02:52 -0400

I think this discussion ignores the common human failing of
ignoring recommendations and advice on things to do for safety and
security, unless one has already suffered the consequences, or if the
consequences are obviously incoming.  This is why there had to be a law
on the wearing of seatbelts (the needed car analogy ;), and in part why
exploits have to be created to "prove" to reluctant vendors that
something really is an issue.  People tend to "think positively" (try to
ignore possible bad consequences) and not bother with things that "won't
happen to them".

This is why a white list approach to software development, presenting
only what you should do, is insufficient by itself.  People need to know
why they should adopt recommended practices, and sometimes that isn't
enough still.  In the case of seatbelts, just telling people why wasn't
enough;  it had to be legislated.

People learn from mistakes, and from bugs. In addition, the capability
to find bugs and know how serious they are and why is valuable, for
example in code reviews and in deciding what to do about the alerts that
code scanning software generates.  It's true that bug finding is only a
small part of the secure programming landscape.  However, it's a good
place to start and I think it's a good thing to test.

As I look at the exam blueprints for the GSSP, I see not only low-level
bugs, but also design-level subject matter, such as privacy and
encryption, identification, authentication, and session management.  The
Java/J2EE bluprints in particular contains higher-level issues.  So,
whereas there are no high-level design or architecture-related
questions, I think that's just fine because that's not the aim of the
GSSP.  Of course, the actual questions may be bad -- I don't know.

Having used multiple choice questions for years on secure programming, I
think they are apropriate tools for some of the knowledge.  The grades I
give are based 50% on labs and 50% on exams, which are mostly multiple
choice.  There is also at least one "real code" question where students
have to explain what is going on, and what should have been done
instead.  This combination seems to provide a good assessment of the
learning outcomes.  Unfortunately I haven't tracked how well the
students did after they graduated -- that would be interesting.

In conclusion, I think dismissing this effort is too harsh, and I
disagree with much of the criticism voiced so far.  I haven't yet, but I
intend to write a few questions for the exam, because I think it's a
worthwhile thing to do.  I won't begrudge SANS for being able to make a
profit with it.  I think they deserve it for demonstrating leadership
and having the initiative of creating the certification (and no, I don't
have links to them or get paid by them -- although there's a small
reward for exam questions).

Regards,
Pascal Meunier

Gary McGraw wrote:
Hi Yo (and everyone else),

I'm afraid that the current test focuses all of its attention on BUGS (in C/C++ and Java).  While we certainly need
to erradicate simple security bugs, there is much more to software security than the bug parade.  Plus when you look
into the material, the multiple choice format makes determining the correct answer impossible at times.

I would rather move away from learning about bugs to learning about defensive programming to avoid bugs in the first
place.  The SANS material focuses entirely on the negative as far as I can tell.  Here's a bug, there's a bug,
everywhere a bug bug.  Better than nothing?  Maybe.

SANS is very good an soliciting everyone's opinion, piling it all up in a nice package, and then charging users for
the result.  SANS is a for profit entity, not a university or a non-profit.  Please don't forget that.

As much as I would love to see a way to determine whether a random coder has security clue, I'm afraid all we will
get out of this effort is perhaps a bit more awareness.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague