Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: Secure Coding Certification

From: Jason.Bennett at thales-esecurity.com (Bennett, Jason)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:02:32 +0100

Lots of interesting points have been made about the SANS test in particular
and multiple choice certifications in general. I think that this, and no I
haven't seen the questions so I could be wide of the mark, are a pragmatic
step in the right direction. I agree that while this sort of exam can be
passed by someone who is almost clueless, or I think more accurately can
remember facts but wouldn't be able to apply them to real world situations,
experience is not the be all and end all - if this was the case we wouldn't
still be seeing the same old mistakes being made time and time again!

So until we have a better way of measuring knowledge, and I'm not convinced
that will ever happen, this seems at least to be a good idea but certainly
not ideal. Hopeful it will raise awareness of the subject and maybe even get
people into the idea constant improvement throughout their career.

In conclusion I think the original article made some good points but it is a
bit harsh on what can realistically be achieved at this point it time. The
certification should be seen a part of and not a substitute for what can
only be learnt through experience, guidance and the one that always seems to
be forgotten, keeping up with what is happening in the area of developing
secure code.

Consider the environment before printing this mail.
"Thales e-Security Limited is incorporated in England and Wales with company
registration number 2518805. Its registered office is located at 2 Dashwood
Lang Road, The Bourne Business Park, Addlestone, Nr. Weybridge, Surrey KT15
2NX.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be
privileged. It is only intended for the stated addressee(s) and access to it
by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee or the
intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other
way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such
unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error
please delete it (and all copies) from your system, please also inform us
immediately on +44 (0)1844 201800 or email postmaster at thales-esecurity.com.
Commercial matters detailed or referred to in this e-mail are subject to a
written contract signed for and on behalf of Thales e-Security Limited".