Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: Stephan.Neuhaus at disi.unitn.it (Stephan Neuhaus)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:35:19 +0200

On Aug 21, 2009, at 17:51, Brad Andrews wrote:

Has anyone who holds to this taught a beginning level programming
class?

I have.  I taught a security class to undergrads.  It was easier than
I thought, at least the basics were. I got them excited by a "let's
try to break things" attitude.  They wrote buffer overflow exploits
(using freely available shellcode), they cracked linear congruential
PRNGs, they subverted insecure protocols.  As far as I can tell, they
had a good time, since I had the highest retention rate for optional
courses in that year: 40 signed up for the course and 39 took the
final exam.

Once they understood that the right mind-set is not "oh come on, what
can possibly go wrong?" but "okay, let's see what *can* go wrong",
they were on their way.

Stephan