Snort mailing list archives

Re: Content "c:"

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:28:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) wrote:

I'm trying to create a rule that searches for content of "c:" in packets.
But Snort complains that a closing quote is needed. In a prior posting I had
asked about "c:\" and someone mentioned the backslash was a problem. Even
without the backslash this still fails. Ths is the latest test rule I tried:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Outgoing c:"; content:
"c:"; nocase;)

Snort complains that content needs an ending quote. Apparently the colon
after the "c" is what is messing this up. Does anyone know how to make a
content rule with "c:" or any drive letter as the content?

Paul,

        Have a look at the attached message.

-----
Erek Adams