Snort mailing list archives

Re: Content "c:"

From: "Graham M Locke" <graham () waldonet net mt>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:31:02 +0200

I think the problem is that snort is interpreting the ':' in the content string
(incorectly ?).
So you have to escape the ':' with a '\'.
I have tested the following, and it seems to work, although the ':' in the msg
gets dropped, you can escape that ':',
but the logged message then contains 'C:\'
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Outgoing C:"; content:"c\:";
nocase;)

Hope this helps

Graham

From: "Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com>
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 14:47:28 CDT
I'm trying to create a rule that searches for content of "c:" in packets.
But Snort complains that a closing quote is needed. In a prior posting I had

asked about "c:\" and someone mentioned the backslash was a problem. Even
without the backslash this still fails. Ths is the latest test rule I tried:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Outgoing c:"; content:
"c:"; nocase;)

Snort complains that content needs an ending quote. Apparently the colon
after the "c" is what is messing this up. Does anyone know how to make a
content rule with "c:" or any drive letter as the content?

Thanks,
Paul

Message: 5