Snort mailing list archives

RE: brut force attack not detected

From: Paul Smith <paul () pscs co uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:51:59 +0100

I have a non configurable 8 port switch that we use for just a section that
we seperate from the rest of our network,,

How would I set that up to work as a monitor port?

If the switch is non-configurable, then you can't..

The whole point of a switch is that data that goes between ports 1 and 2 (for instance) won't get sent out to port 3 as well, so if you have Snort on port 3, it simply won't see the traffic between ports 1 and 2.

You need to be able to configure the switch to define a port which receives either all the data or all the data to/from a specific port (depending on the switch), so if the switch is non-configurable you can't do this..

You will either need to change to a hub (where all data is visible on all ports) or a managed switch where you can define a monitoring port.

Alternatively, if you just want to monitor one port of the switch you could buy a cheap hub and put it between that port of the switch and the computer/router/whatever that was on that port, and put the Snort computer on another port of the hub.

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
paul () pscs co uk                      http://www.pscs.co.uk/