Snort mailing list archives

RE: Acid / MySQL question

From: Steve Halligan <agent33 () geeksquad com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:28:48 -0600

For security reasons, I want each sensor to have a unique
user account and password on the mysql database.  I feel user
root is a bad thing, as this is full privalleges on the mysql
database.  So what is the >mysql command systax to add seperate
users and passwords so each sensor has privalleges to add data to
the snort database?

mysql> INSERT INTO user VALUES('hostname','username',PASSWORD\
('password'),'N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N');
mysql> GRANT INSERT,SELECT on snort.* TO username;

There is a way to do it with mysqladmin and/or mysqlaccess but it gets kinda
funky (ie. I can never make it work :))
The above works just fine, all the "'N'"'s disallow any access to the
'mysql' database.  Access to the 'snort' database will be insert select,
which would look like 'Y','Y','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N' in the
'db' database.

To see the results of your work you can do a:
mysql> SELECT * from user;
mysql> SELECT * from db;

Have fun

-Steve