Snort mailing list archives

Re: New to snort

From: Guillaume <guillaume () anteria fr>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 17:48:50 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à Philip Clark <pclark () pclarkbiz com>:

Hello All,

I am a new user to snort and I have 2 quick questions...

1.) Is there a way to make your alerts point to which rule set invoked
them?

What do you mean ?
There is a comment associated with all signatures usually, it should be enough
to knwo what kind of event generated the alert. You could add some unique ID of
your own, but do not forget : there are about +1,000 snort rules now ! :-)

2.) Is there a way to make Snort actually stop suspected traffic as
opposed to only alerting?

Using flexresp will allow you to trigger some actions. But i'm not sure it
always is a good idea...

Guillaume.