Snort mailing list archives

RE: firewalling snort machine

From: "Sean T. Ballard" <stballard () 4glschools com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:36:44 -0500

Here how I do it. Have 2 nics in it, one public one private. Unbind
tcpip off the public interface and just have the card in promisc mode.
Then on your private interface setup and IP so you can check the logs.
This way no internet traffic can connect to the IDS but it still logs
everything. (Make sure if your plugging the IDS into a switch that the
ports are mirrored to the port the IDS's public interface is in)

-Sean