Snort mailing list archives

Re: firewalling snort machine

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:55:19 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Basil Saragoza wrote:

I have a snort machine exposed to the internet (connected to our internet
switch, it monitors traffic coing to the firewall public nic). Is it safe to
install firewall on snort machine and disable ALL incoming traffic to snort
machin from the internet? Will it affect snort functionality? (My guess
would be it won't cause snort sniffs packets fro the switch and it is not
dependent on internet connectivity, but I just want to make sure that mu
guess is correct) thx.

As others have said, use 2 nics.  The other emails are pretty clear on how/why
to do that, so I won't rehash that.

BUT--Just to be overly paranoid, use a R/O cable on the connection that
doesn't have an IP.  Just because there isn't a way to exploit it that is
currently known, does _not_ mean there isn't one.  Consider this:  Standard
OSI model has 7 layers.  IP is Layer 3, physical is Layer 1.  If you stop them
at Layer 1, there's even less risk than ever.

But--Some switches and hubs don't do so well with R/O cables.  One method that
seems to work fairly well is this one:

http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~msng0/sniffing_cable/index.htm

YMMV!

-----