Snort mailing list archives

Re: Latest rule update

From: Stefan Dens <larc () pandora be>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:32:53 +0100

Brian wrote:

According to User BALGAA System Engineer:

Hello,

How can I to update snort-stable rule sets to latest rule sets?

wget http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz
tar -zxvf snortrules.tar.gz
cp rules/* /etc/snort/rules # (or wherever your rules exist)

snortrules.tar.gz is updated every 30 minutes from CVS.  Downloading
this every 30 minutes IS a bit much.  We usually make changes on a
daily basis.
If you are looking for a regular update as to what changes are being
made with the signatures, I would subscribe to the snort-cvs so you
get up to the moment commit messages.

-brian

I think that it would be better if there was a file like 'snortrules.md5' on the snort website, with the latest checksum of the cvs-snapshot. Then my script has just to compare the checksum and not download the hole tar.gz file to find out that there wasn't anything changed.

Stefan Dens