Snort mailing list archives

Latest rule update (Problem)

From: "skill2die4" <skill2die4 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:53:14 -0500

Hi :

Brian wrote:
wget http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz
tar -zxvf snortrules.tar.gz
cp rules/* /etc/snort/rules # (or wherever your rules exist)

I did the same to update my snort1.8.4 beta rulesets

however,  snort -T  came with following problem :

+ + + + + + ++ + + + + + + + ++ ++ + ++ + + +
Initialising
Error Line .snort.conf (46)   =>  unknown rule type ((null))

Fatal ... quitting ....

---------------- SNORT.conf --------------------------
I looked into snort.conf  , just to make sure that everything is
alright ... i dont see any bug there.

I tried to find the buggy rule file (if any) by commenting all the rule
files in snort.conf ... but i still got the same error !

This is also pretty much the same ... which was running
perfectly b4 .

what can i decipher from this ERROR_MESSAGE ??

Does this error means that the Error resides in one of the
rules Files ... if yes , then which_one ??

thanks !

skill