Snort mailing list archives

Gigabit snort?

From: "Michael Cunningham" <m.cunningham () xpedite com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:05:55 -0400

Folks,

My company currently has 3x 45 mbit links to the net
that I would like to monitor with snort. We plan on
getting an OC12 soon. Is anyone running snort to
monitor this level of traffic?  We easily max out our
3x 45 mbit links during peak times. I would like to
place sensors inside and outside my firewalls in order
to correlate results. Can a high end x86 Linux system handle
this level of traffic? I was planning on centrally logging
everything to a mySQL database for analysis (I am planning
5 other sensors on my internal LAN as well). Is anyone else running
a high end snort setup? I would love to get some constructive
advice on a setup this size. What gigabit cards are you
using? What fiber taps? Server hardware? etc..

Thanks.. Mike