Snort mailing list archives

Re: Placement of Snort IDS

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:05:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, [iso-8859-1] Kenny D wrote:

I need to know where exactly snort is placed in a
switched network. Is it setup with port mirroring or
in such a way that its a default gateway and all
traffic passes through?

Well...  It depends.  You might configure it either way.  It all depends upon
your network and how/what you want to do with snort.

Someone told me snort can drop packets based on the
rules but i thought it just logged packets when they
satisy rules as opposed to dropping them. I have set
it up with the firewall port mirroring to snort, is
this correct

You might be thinking of Hogwash.

        http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/

Cheers!