Snort mailing list archives

Re: installing acid on fbsd4.6 for meer mortals

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () broadvision com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:20:14 -0700

At first the plotting didn't work for me either. I read through the FAQ once again and saw that "register_globals" had to be on in the php.ini file (something I should have remembered from when I read it the first time, before I started the project). This setting is off by default. If this isn't on, ACID appears to work, but many things are broken, such as the 'next' buttons when looking through a list of packet logs, the page buttons, the back button, etc. It also turns out that the plot functionality needs this too. Once this was on, plotting worked. Well. It drew graphs. But didn't ever seem to really plot what I wanted or specified. Havn't had time to really look into this to see whether it's just the 'beta' nature of the plot function, or whether yet something else is broken in my PHP :-).
- Jim

Randy Bey wrote:

Here's the "configure" line I had to use to get PHP working:

./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/apache/bin/apxs --with-gd --enable-sockets --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-xpm-dir=/usr/local/lib

It's a good days work if you're completely unfamiliar with PHP as I was

:-).  Good luck.

- Jim

Gee, wish I had read this a couple days ago. My experiences exactly,
except I also added (for superstition sake MTA) --with-zlib since the
php configure output found the zlib library but said it would NOT use
zlib, apparently since I didn't specifically tell it to.

The other caveat I would mention is the jpeg libraries have a crappy
installer part, and you will have to manually copy the .h files to your
/usr/local/include, and the .a file to /usr/local/lib.

Other than that, and my continual inability to get phplot to work in
ACID, although it's test thingie works, is where my head is at right
now.

pat wrote:

Does anybody known---- exactly----- how to do this or can anybody

recommend

another mgr product that meer mortals can install. I have tried the doc

on

snort...it can not possible be correct.... maybe in theory only but not

in

practice. Something is missing from that doc. I can not get php4, gd2,
phplot to work with each other and I have not bother to go any further.

have scoured the internet and it seems lots of people are have all

sorts of

issues trying to get this installed and working. Does anybody have

detailed

install instructions that do in deed work for 4.6 or 4.5 fbsd that they

are

willing to share. Otherwise does anybody know of another mgr product

that

dummies and meer mortals can install within there lifetime.

Thx

Acid is burning a hole in my brain