Snort mailing list archives

Re: SHUN

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:20:54 -0500

At 03:11 PM 11/26/2002 -0600, Frank Knobbe wrote:
> 2) since your firewall can be configured automatically, this means > the authentication mechanism to snort is stored in your snort box. If I can > penetrate your snort box I can now reconfigure your firewall any way I want > to suit my needs. This effectively widens your security risks unless you're
> positive the snort box cannot access the internet.

A valid point. But it is addresses when IDS sensors are configured to
operate in stealth mode, by using taps, ro-cables, IP less interfaces.

Agreed, those tactics are both part of "unless you're positive the snort box cannot access the internet".

Note that this also means the snort box needs to have NO interfaces which access the internet, not just the sniffing one. Bear in mind things like DNS query attacks against the resolver libraries and other client type attacks.

Since controlling the snort box effectively gives an attacker full control of your firewall absolute security paranoia is a must. That means both no untrusted client connections as well as no untrusted server connections. No automated download of packages, snort rules, etc. No connecting to untrusted mailservers even to just deliver outbound mail, no connecting to untrusted DNS servers, no connecting to web sites, etc.

You really don't want your snort box to be the weakest link, and if your firewall is worth the money you spent on it, you can be sure that you'll have to work hard to make your snort box as hard to break as the firewall itself is.