Snort mailing list archives

[greg.morris () sourcefire com: Snort Mitigation and Patch Notification]

From: "Karl A. Krueger" <kkrueger () whoi edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:19:29 -0500

A sales representative at Sourcefire, whom I asked some months ago to
cease contacting me, today sent me unsolicited commercial email (spam).
The odd thing about this spam is that it alleged an (as yet) undisclosed
vulnerability in Snort's RPC decoding routines.  Is it conventional for
vendor sales representatives to use undisclosed vulnerability notices as
a "teaser" in unsolicited commercial email?  This strikes me as rather
problematic.  Thoughts?

(Why pass this along ahead of the listed 1PM EST timeline?  I don't like
being spammed.)

----- Forwarded message from Greg Morris <greg.morris () sourcefire com> -----