Snort mailing list archives

RE: Problem with MYSQL/ACID And Large Database

From: "Maynard, Jeff S." <Jeff.Maynard () banctec com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:50:37 -0600

I am running the sensor on a dedicated machine and the DB an another
dedicated machine.  The DB server is a Dell PowerEdge 2200 with 512K and
dual 233's.  While not the best box around, it should be able to handle the
load.  The problem seems to be when I get around 70,000 alerts.  I ran a
select statement with just select count(*) from acid_alert and it took 7.5
hours to return 86,000.  I have sense truncated the table and have started
to clean up the alerts.  I will also stat archiving to another database on
the same server.  Hopefully this will help.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.  I am just going to have to
spend more time tuning and watching the database size.