Snort mailing list archives

snort session reassembly problem

From: "gupta_sonali" <gupta_sonali () indiatimes com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:46:19 +0530

Hello

I am using snort to do multiple keyword search on a tcpdump file. The output I

need is all the sessions containing those keywords. The complete session should be

stored in case the keyword is found.
I specified session: binary in the conf file, and also tried enabling the stream4

preprocessor.
However, I am facing two problems.
1)Sequencing of packets : Though snort is placing all packets with the same

port-IP pair in one session file, the packets are not correctly sequenced. They

are present in the order in which they arrived, which is not the correct sequence

of packets based on the TCP sequrence nos.
I tried using "Follow TCP Stream" in Ethereal and tcpflow. Both arranged the

packets in correct sequence. Is there any way to make Snort arrange the packets in

proper sequence?
I tried to replay the tcpdump using tcpreplay and have snort sniff that instead of

reading the tcpdump, but that too did not resolve the issue.

2)Saving the entire session to a file if the keyword is found : Snort is placing

just part of the actual data of that session in the session file if the keyword is

found. It does not record the entire session. Is there any way to make snort save

the whole session to a file if the keyword is found? Again, sniffing off the

network directly or from tcpreplay (instead of reading tcpdump) did not resolve

the issue.

 Buy the best in Movies at http://www.videos.indiatimes.com

Bid for for Air Tickets @ Re.1 on Air Sahara Flights. Just log on to http://airsahara.indiatimes.com and Bid Now !