Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort session reassembly problem

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 19:54:40 +0100

Hi Erek,

Erek Adams wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, gupta_sonali wrote:

I am using snort to do multiple keyword search on a tcpdump file. The
output I need is all the sessions containing those keywords. Thecomplete
session should be stored in case the keyword is found. I specified
session: binary in the conf file, and also tried enabling the stream4
preprocessor.  However, I am facing two problems.

[...snip...]

Simply, Snort can't do that.

You'll need to use something like ethereal's 'follow stream' feature.

Stream4 needs to read packets off of the wire to function correctly.  It
can't do that from a pcap file.

Would you please explain that. Why is it so? What is the difference?

Reading the information from a file sequentially should not be really that
different from reading it off the wire.

What do in that case the information given by Snort mean after the file has
been processed?

Regards,

Edin

Cheers!