Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenPcap() error

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:02:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Robert Cole wrote:

    config set_gid: snort
    config set_uid: snort

That's what I have and I get the group null error. When I change them to their
respective numbers I get an error about not able to look up the user from the
id (1000).

Commented out and the log rule corrected snort runs. :) But it would still be
nice to run snort as a user/group. :)

Ummm...  You've got something wrong on your side.  I'm testing this and
get _no_ errors using those two statements.

        useradd snort
        groupadd snort
[add those two lines to the very top of snort.conf]
        snort -T /tmp/snort.conf -l /tmp/
[...snip...]
        Snort sucessfully loaded all rules and checked all rule chains!
        Snort exiting

Looks like you either don't have them listed in /etc/group and
/etc/{passwd,shadow}.  If you do, add the space after the colon.  What's
the output of:

        grep snort /etc/{group,passwd,shadow}

Also snort doesn't seem to pay attention to the config daemon param. I still
have to use -D if I want it to load up that way. Why is that?

Again, it works for me:

        config daemon

Starts Snort in Daemon mode.  No problem....

I'd suggest skipping whatever startup script you're using.  Start with
making Snort work.  You may be fighting with a problem with the script
instead of a problem with Snort.

If you can do a:

        snort -T -c /path/to/snort.conf

It will check it's config.  If it's wrong, it will fail.  If it's correct,
it will just cleanly exit.  If that happens....

        snort -c /path/to/snort

Should make it work.

Also, you've never mentioned what version you are using.  If it's not
1.9.1 or greater, upgrade to 1.9.1.

-----
Erek Adams