Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort won't log anything! Please help...

From: "Kalteis, Nico (Contractor)" <Nico.Kalteis () ed gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:29:42 -0500

By the way, I just noticed this:  When I simply use the rule

alert any any -> any any

Snort logs just fine.  It sets up a whole separate folder for any IP address
it talks to.

But the moment I add ANYTHING behind that line containing a signature it
just sits there and does nothing.  Specifically, I tried this with a simple
"cmd.exe" rule.  Then I kept cutting down the signature part until all i was
left with was (content:"cmd.exe";) but to no avail.  Can anybody tell me why
it will log packets but not if I include a signature it's supposed to match?

Thanks!

Nico