Snort mailing list archives

RE: Looking for opinions...

From: "L. Christopher Luther" <CLuther () Xybernaut com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:26:16 -0400

Instead of disabling some of the alerts, why don't you change them to log
only?  If you familiar with IIS (which it seems you are), then you know that
an IIS vulnerability that is patched today could re-surface tomorrow in a
slightly different form, and I've seen "old" Snort sigs catch new
vulnerabilities.  If this happens and you don't have a sig specific to the
new vulnerability, Snort would still log the attack, and give you a record
in case your system is compromised.

My two cents...