Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Event Ids on win2000

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () winsnort com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:45:18 -0700

C,

This is normal, why, don't ask me but I see this all the time. My best guess
is in the way the Service is installed?

Here is my log:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( snort ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: [1:1002:5] WEB-IIS cmd.exe access
[Classification: Web Application Attack] [Priority: 1]: {TCP}
68.54.249.224:1499 -> 192.168.1.100:80.

In other words, Snort is functioning and this is a normal operation. Snort
has been like this for, well, since the Service option was added to Snort
for Windows.

Cheers...

-Michael Steele
--
 System Engineer / Security Support Technician
 mailto:michaels () winsnort com