Snort mailing list archives

Re: [OT] Firing off Abuse email based on Snort Traffic

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:01:02 -0400

As a slightly off-topic note, but something the snort community might find interesting, this thread was referenced by Fydor (author of nmap) in his recent interview on Slashdot:

http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/30/1148235&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=172&tid=95

-----
Now I'll admit that I don't always obtain explicit permission before scanning other networks. I don't believe (but IANAL) that a simple port/OS scan of a remote system is or should be illegal. Any machine connected to the Internet will be scanned so often that most admins ignore such "white noise" anyhow. But scan other networks often enough, and someone will eventually complain
----
where the word someone is a link to this thread:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2466036&forum_id=3972