Snort mailing list archives

RE: Cisco Catalyst - SNORT

From: "shannong" <shannong () texas net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:48:45 -0500

When mirroring traffic for many ports (or VLANs) under high loads such
as 600-1000Mbps, the catalyst can incur a CPU load even though the docs
say it shouldn't. I don't know if it's only when doing ports from more
than one module, ports from more than one VLAN, or FE ports to GE ports,
or simply a load factor, but the "problem" definitely exists.  You can
use capture ACLs instead of span ports on 6500s.  Do you have NativeIOS
or CatOS?

You can allow for spanning traffic on a port while also accepting
network traffic from it as a host.  As previously mentioned, it is
better to have a separate NIC for this.