Snort mailing list archives

Re: Session statistics

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:34:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, John Creegan wrote:

[...snip...]

I've searched the mail list archives and the snort website looking for
the tool I need, and have not yet found it.  Before I go off and create
this tool, I'd like to know if there already is a tool which can take
advantage of the session.log data to tell me:
     1. Who the top talkers are
     2. Where the hotspots on the network are.

If not, I'm thinking about creating a table in the snort database and
then writing a bit of Perl to populate the table with the session stats.
 I might then either write some php pages to add into ACID or write
stored procedures or even more Perl to do a bit of analysis.
Ultimately, I'd rather add the capability to ACID.

Anyone know of a way I can do this with existing tools?

Ntop [0]
MRTG [1]
RRDTool [2]
Sniffer Pro [3]

Sniffer Pro is exactly what you want, it's just not cheap.  MRTG and
RRDTool would have to be massaged a bit to make them work like you want.
Ntop might be the closest thing...

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams