Snort mailing list archives

RE: Mac Adresses in Acid Screens

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:26:08 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Demetri Mouratis [mailto:dmourati () cm math uiuc edu]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 3:16 AM
To: Juan M. Rivera
Cc: Snort Users List
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Mac Adresses in Acid Screens

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Juan M. Rivera wrote:

Does anyone know how you can see the Mac Address with the
IP address
in the Acid screen (acid_stat_ipaddr.php)?

For some reason I missed Juan's original post, so I'm using Demetri's
followup to respond to the original question.  Demetri, hope you don't
mind.

You'd have to modify the snort source code to get the MAC from the
packet headers.  Then you'd have to modify the ACID source code to
display them.  And it wouldn't do you much good unless you were in a
broadcast network rather than switched.  In a switched network all you
would get would be the last router's MAC.

We (not me - our wireless guy) have actually modified snort here to
extract MACs from a snort box that is watching the wireless cloud.  We
then have a custom php page that displays the MAC along with the IP and
other info.  (No, we won't make it available.  It wouldn't be worth much
anyway.)  But the wireless cloud will soon be authenticated VLANs and
then it won't do us any good there either.  We just did it to make it
easier to deal with the rpc worm infections in our student residences.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member