Snort mailing list archives

Re: Mac Adresses in Acid Screens

From: "Stephen W. Thompson" <thompson+snort () pobox upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:14:38 -0400 (EDT)

In a multi-person thread, Demetri Mouratis wrote in response to an
earlier posting:

You'd have to modify the snort source code to get the MAC from the
packet headers.
[snip]
Then you'd have to modify the ACID source code to
display them.  And it wouldn't do you much good unless you were in a
broadcast network rather than switched.  In a switched network all you
would get would be the last router's MAC.

Right.  I was thinking along the lines of maintaining an arp table for all
local hosts and then reporting the MAC<->IP pairing in the ACID alert
page.  Something like:

I went through the archives some time ago to understand this same
issue.

One posting in that thread (sorry, I've no references to it) said, in
effect, that snort was not the right tool for MAC-level logging.  They
recommended arpwatch instead.  Since I had already been using arpwatch
and appreciated what it does, I stopped looking into a snort-integrated
method.

Also, I came to agree with other postings in the last day or so that,
when I finally install onto the main pipe rather than just
experimenting at a normal wallplate on a switched network, I'll be
prevented from seeing meaningful MACs for all but one subnet.

En paz,
Steve, security analyst
--
Stephen W. Thompson, UPenn, ISC Information Security, 215-898-1236, WWW has PGP
thompson+snort () pobox upenn edu   http://pobox.upenn.edu/~thompson/index.html