Snort mailing list archives

No External Hits/Proxy Server Required?

From: Tim Rohrer <snort () metbymail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 06:45:45 -0700

Good Morning Folks,

I have a group of questions that likely stems from a misunderstanding of a simple requirement on my part. I am running SNORT with ACID on a small home network. I am interested in intrusion detection as I run a mail server and am giving consideration to installation of my own web server. I am also interesting in monitoring internal traffic and will try to set up blocking of certain types of sites (for the kids). Most everything seems to work except that I do not get hits from external sites unless they specifically connect to my mail server. I have a cable modem and a Linksys router/firewall but I do not have a dedicated machine running as a firewall [wife would kill me if I got *another* computer : ) ]. Because I did not see any hits when I went to a porn site, I created a generic rule [alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"Just a test"; class-type:misc-activity;)] to alert on any traffic as a test. The only traffic that seems to trigger this is traffic bound for the mail server. Am I missing the obvious about how SNORT should work? Do I have to set up a proxy server in order for SNORT to monitor traffic there? (I am sort of think "yes" since established web connections would not be broadcast, would they?).

I welcome your thoughts or comments.  Thanks.

Tim
--
Tim Rohrer
tgrohrer () metbymail com