Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about best hardware

From: "M. Morgan" <mikemorgan () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:18:13 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hi Mike,
 I'm sure you'll get alot of different replies but Im going to give you the specs on my IDS server and you can work
from that if you like. I use a simple P4 2.4, ASUS motherboard with 720mb of PC 3700 DDR Ram, 80GB IDE drive for a
MYSQL server, I have 3 remote snort boxes writting to this database and it works flawlessly.

 The only time it really has to do any performance is when I looking through the events with snortcenter and it does
very well at that. I know your looking into a RAID setup but something around the same performance as mine should be
fine. Ive run it on alot less but I had to be more patient when looking through the database too.

 I also recommend Sentinix Linux as the OS to use, it will save you *alot* of setup time and has no desktop GUI
overhead on the server (you can use webmin if you want a GUI).
www.sentinix.org

have fun,
Michael