Snort mailing list archives

Feature request: thresholds need another counter?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:45:58 +1300

Hi there

I am in a dilemma. I want to move to thresholds so as to save my SQL
databases from collapse, and yet at the same time I don't like loosing the
details - such as what looks like  10 SLAMMER alerts @ 1 per minute was
actually 10,000,000 alerts - but threshold reduced it down.

What about a threshold code change (and schema change I suppose) so that it
reports an extra field - the number of times the alert occurred in the
threshold period.

i.e.

SLAMMER alert triggered - 30,000 times in threshold period
SLAMMER alert triggered - 10,000 times in threshold period
SLAMMER alert triggered - 70,000 times in threshold period

Three records - but you know that was actually 110,000 alerts.

Obviously stuff like ACID would need to be changed to work with such a
change, but it seems to me you'd get the best of both worlds...?

Just a thought...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417