Snort mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: thresholds need another counter?

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:59:19 -0600

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 07:20, Jason wrote:
I disagree, yes, from a technical standpoint, we (as in my place of
employment) only care about the fact the machine is infected, or not, and
if you get 1000 hits a min, thats a good indication, however there are
those we report to, who want numbers, and statistics, losing those is just
as bad from a management standpoint, even more so where I work as they are
very much into numbers...

Also, if you use thresholding to squelch out noisy signatures, you
(obviously) won't detect the careful and less noisy attack that might
trigger the same signature. If you squelch an alert, a single, slightly
different crafted packet, could compromise the system and you wouldn't
even know about it.

Now ideally, if someone came up with a nice realtime console, then not
having to worry about thresholding, and have a console that consolidates
the alerts (for example show the alert,then drilldown into the alert to
get the source count, and then drilling down on the source would show all
the source -> detination relationships would be even better, disk space is
not an issue for me, db performance is, but I have managed to get around
that a little bit, the issue is the multitude of alerts we get, and how to
get rid of the fluff.

Something I thought of was to create a module that takes a certain
number of alerts and tries to identify a group as belonging to one
cause. The best example is Nimda which triggers a series of signatures.
The module could identify those alerts are a Nimda attack and instead of
showing 10 IIS related alerts just show one Nimda attack alert.

I'm trying to solve this on our custom backend by combing the database
and rewriting entries there. I'm not sure if this could be solved as a
preprocessor. I think the caching requirements to cache a large enough
number of alerts are probably too high to do that in within Snort
itself.

Would be nice though, having a spp_attack or so that reduces the amount
of alerts by identifying the program/virus/attack behind a series of
sigs.

Cheers,
Frank