Snort mailing list archives

Re: Flex-Response, anyone using it?

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:47:24 +1200

Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz> writes:

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 03:04:28PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
I'm curious to know how many people, if any, are using Flex-Response and
what kind of results they have seen?  I've been using it for some P2P
rules but haven't actually tested it from the client.  Any information
would be greatly appreciated.

We use it and it works well. We've turned it on for specific rules - such as
BLASTER and Sasser exploits.

However you much appreciate it relies VERY much on your network
configuration. All TCP RSETs are sent from eth0 (your primary Ethernet
interface) with spoofed IP addresses.

Not true on my setup; it goes on the OS routing table AFAICT. My setup
is eth0 without an IP address, hence no routes, so eth1 gets used for
flexresp traffic.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer