Snort mailing list archives

FW: Flex-Response, anyone using it?

From: "IDont ThinkSo" <billygates_sux () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:37:17 -0400

  Paul's an idiot!  As usual nothing of value in his writing.

Flexresp works well, as all it needs to do is send out a reset packet (or icmp unreachable or such) if a certain condition is met. And yes, if you write a rule to send a reset packet when syn packet on port 25 arrives it will send one out and block the connection. HOWEVER, you should not use flexresp with normal snort smtp rules, as mail servers do not like connections being reset while it is receiving a msg. As paul only uses this only to torment admins with less knowledge than him (I don't know how that is possible) he cannot testify to its use in a real environment. If they were smarter they might just track his ass down and beat him senselessly.

Flexresp is certainly not an IPS solution, but its nice on a limited scale. And though I said I don't recommend it, you could write a snort rule that uses regex to detect the string "On Behalf Of Paul Schmehl" and reset that waste of bandwidth!