Snort mailing list archives

Re: FW: Flex-Response, anyone using it?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:21:25 -0500

--On Wednesday, May 19, 2004 04:37:17 PM -0400 IDont ThinkSo <billygates_sux () hotmail com> wrote:

   Flexresp works well, as all it needs to do is send out a reset packet
(or icmp unreachable or such) if a certain condition is met.  And yes, if
you write a rule to send a reset packet when syn packet on port 25
arrives it will send one out and block the connection.

Of course I never wrote such a rule, nor did I ever say that I wrote such a rule, but you're entitled to speculate, I suppose.

 HOWEVER, you
should not use flexresp with normal snort smtp rules, as mail servers do
not like connections being reset while it is receiving a msg.

Well, that's sort of a "Doh!", isn't it!

 As paul
only uses this only to torment admins with less knowledge than him (I
don't know how that is possible) he cannot testify to its use in a real
environment.  If they were smarter they might just track his ass down and
beat him senselessly.

I never wrote any rules to "torment admins" nor did I ever say that I wrote any rules to torment admins. Again, I suppose you're entitled to speculate to your heart's content, but try not to attribute to me things that I've never said.

I'll let the readers decide who has more credibility - someone who posts under their own name or someone who posts pseudo-anonymously.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member