Snort mailing list archives

HOME_NET question

From: sart () trialgraphix com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:53:09 -0400

I have only one IDS and it is on the DMZ.
For the HOME_NET var do i just put in the subnet of the DMZ or do i put in
my VLAN subnets also?
Right now i have the DMZ and my 2 vlan subnets in var HOME_NET and i was
just wondering if that is correct

Lastly, after running snort on the default rule set with 2.1.2 for a
couple of weeks i finally used oinkmaster to get and use the latest stable
rules.   Now in the past 3 hours i have only gotten 3 alerts besides my
self tests and they are all the robot.txt alert from the search engines.
Is this normal for a sensor on a DMZ with a non MS webserver, email
server, and ftp server?   Was i just used to getting all those false
positives from the default ruleset?  It seems so quiet now.

Thank guys,

Seth Art