Snort mailing list archives

FW: Administrativia: No advertising please

From: "Eric Hines" <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:44:24 -0500

BRDS,

Eric Hines, GCIA
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, Inc.
http://www.appliedwatch.com
Direct: (877) 262-7593 x327
Fax: (877) 262-7593

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Hines [mailto:eric.hines () appliedwatch com]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 11:41 PM
To: 'Michael Steele'; 'snort-users () lists sourceforge net'
Cc: 'sherri.harper () appliedwatch com'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Administrativia: No advertising please

Ok, I'm going to take a few moments out to jump in here because I feel a
few comments need to be made regarding this. Yes, Sherri Harper did make
a mistake in accidentally hitting REPLY-ALL when sending out an email to
a prospect. Ladies and gentlemen, in my 13 years in the industry, I've
done that myself on more than one occasion... I'm sure you have too.

Additionally, I'd like to make a point regarding "cold calls or email
pitches". I've worked in this industry for quite some time. Prior to
starting Applied Watch, I worked as an Intrusion Analyst and later moved
in to management. I received on average at every company I worked for,
more than 20 sales emails a day and half that in cold calls. Almost
every sales person I spoke to got my contact information off mailing
lists. Heck, when we post job openings on the focus-jobs mailing list,
we get 8-10 recruiters calling us asking to work with us for recruiting
needs.

I remember back in high school when we first got Internet access, we had
to sign pieces of paper saying we understood participating in public
mailing lists, newsgroups, etc. would open us up to spam, email wars,
and mud slinging. I understood that my participation on public
securityfocus lists or any mailing list made my email address available
to those looking to sell me something. Heck, if those companies can make
a sale as well as solve a security problem we had, more power to em!

Come on guys, it's a part of the game. I understood that these people
had bills to pay, these sales people, most of them at least, didn't make
base salaries and lived off commission, who was I to discourage them by
ranting back and asking how they got my contact information; frankly,
who cares?

In short, businesses have a product to sell. I utilized sales emails and
cold calls to my advantage to find out about some pretty cool new
technology to play with or know about if my boss ever asked for a
solution to a problem. You guys aren't seriously complaining about your
email addresses being used by companies to offer you products when we
all suffer from the same v1agra emails you do are you? You're
participating on mailing lists mirrored by dozens of web sites
accessible by any google keyword search you can think of. I can't count
all the web sites that mirror these mailing list archives with just two
hands. Try doing a google search for snort and I'll bet a buffalo nickel
a post you've made to this or any other list will show up.

If this email causes some sales people to contact me offering a solution
to a security problem I have that will make my job easier or my network
more secure, bring it on ladies and gentlemen, show me what you've got.

BTW, thanks Michael for sticking your neck out on this one..