Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: CAUTION: Long Rant!!! Re: [Snort-sigs] Broken 1429.2 (POLICY poll.gotomypc.com access)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:53:46 -0400

At 05:42 PM 10/12/2004, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Email lacks the ability to convey emotion. It therefore sometimes seems blunt. Either learn to accept that or prepare to be constantly offended. The only "attitude" I've seen in Brian is a busy expert dealing with the facts and not being verbose about it.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's easy to confuse a short reply for being offhandedly dismissed or disregarded as stupid. Particularly over email. It's really pretty hard to write a short reply without leaving the implicit feeling of being stupid.

Usually you have to write things like:

"Oh, that's a common mistake, try this instead and it works much better. There's also some good stuff on this in the FAQ for future reference."

instead of:
"That won't work. Do this instead. Read the FAQ."

But the second is much faster to write on a busy schedule.

I often make short-blunt replies myself and sometimes get back "why'd you treat me like an idiot" messages..

My general reply is "I wasn't treating you like an idiot, I was in a hurry and thus a bit terse and blunt. Sorry if the briskness offended, that wasn't my intent. If I'd really thought you were an idiot, I would have told you so directly."

I imagine Brian is much the same. He may be a bit unpolished in his general emails as a result of being busy, but I imagine that any real flaming from him would be greatly non-subtle in nature.