Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and barnyard status

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: 06 Nov 2004 18:42:31 +0100

El jue, 04 de 11 de 2004 a las 21:15, Lance Boon escribió:
What I'm looking for is an easy for users other than myself (in
particular my boss) to be able to look at a webpage and determine the
status of a particular snort sensor if the snort and barnyard processes
are running. I'm not sure of the best way to handle this right now what
I do is just ssh to the box do a ps -ef|grep snort and see both barnyard
and the snort processes running. What I would like to be able to do is
automate this by either having my graphing server ssh to each box, do
the ps -ef|grep snort, and get these results back then put these results
in a webpage to view then, maybe even send an e-mail alert if a process
isn't running when it should be, or even have something set to start
that process if it isn't running. But right now my main focus is just to
get the results back to the webpage to be displayed and have this run as
a process every min or so. Any assistance or pointers in the right
direction would greatly be appreciated.

The best solution for this is using some kind of automated tool
to check the services. The best I know it's nagios, and mon it's
also a good choice. Both have web interfaces and can send mail
to give you alerts.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC