Snort mailing list archives

problems with barnyard, snort and mysql

From: Kevin Smith <kjsmith () tm net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:22:59 -0500

Hey everyone,

I already posted his on the forums but I noticed that I was accepted into the mailing list so I will also write it here as well, never hurts to cover all of your bases ;D. I am configuring a server that is using snort to examine traffic that would normally be deleted. By that, I mean traffic who's IP does not resolve to a valid location. We are using this information to detect possible users with virus on their machines. My question is what is a good configuration for Snort and Barnyard to work with MySQL. All the information I really need in the database is the source IP and port, destination IP and port, and the time that the packet was received. I am guessing that the '-A fast' option will take care of that part. So what should I have snort log too, what should barnyard pickup, and how do I export it to the database? I have tried a few different ways and I haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance for any solutions to my problem.

Kevin
Here is what my system is running:
SimplyMepis
MySQL -- Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.10, for pc-linux-gnu (i386)
Snort -- 2.2.0 Barnyard --
Barnyard Version 0.2.0 (Build 32)