Snort mailing list archives

Re: I can not see it

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:54:39 -0500

Greta,

You mentioned a switch, I sure hope you are connected to a span port on
the switch or a Tap. Otherwise, you're not going to see anything except
broadcast traffic.

Best Regards,

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Email:   eric.hines () appliedwatch com
Address: 1095 Pingree Road
         Suite 221
         Crystal Lake, IL
         60014
Tel:     (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Fax:     (847) 854-5106
Web:     http://www.appliedwatch.com

Security Management for the Open Source Enterprise

Greta.Ji () sungard com wrote:
Hi,

I am a new user on this list. I have a simple problem, and hope to get a
help. I just installed Snort 2.6 on Centos. I follow the document to bring
eth1 up (eth0 has IP to connect to the Internal network).  But I can not
see any traffic on eth1 (tcpdump -i eth1). I checked the switch, I can see
traffice on the interface (# sh interface f0/8):

    monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/2
    monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/8
     270471 packets output, 65224246 bytes, 0 underruns

Did I missing anything at here? Could some one help me?

Thank you,

--Greta