Snort mailing list archives

Re: Broken snort rule

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:11:12 -0500

--On Tuesday, October 07, 2008 08:06:49 -0500 James Lay
<jlay () slave-tothe-box net> wrote:

FYI

Subject: Oct  7 06:30:58 gateway snort[21619]: FATAL ERROR:
/chroot/snort/etc/snort/rules/emerging-compromised.rules(119) => Empty IP
used either as source IP or as destination IP in a rule. IP list: [].

alert ip [] any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ET COMPROMISED Known Compromised or/
Hostile Host Traffic (76)";/
reference:url,doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/CompromisedHosts;/
threshold: type limit, track by_src, seconds 60, count 1;/
classtype:misc-attack; sid:2500075; rev:1292;)

Hardly anyone has better error messages than snort.  (Thanks, Marty.)  The
error message is telling you *exactly* what is wrong, viz. "Empty IP used
either as source IP or as destination IP in a rule.  IP list: []."

The rule reads alert ip ***[]***.

The IP list is empty, just as the error message states.  The basic format of a
snort rule is:

action (alert,activate,log,pass,dynamic,drop,reject,sdrop)
protocol (ip,tcp,udp,icmp)
source ip
source port
direction of flow
destination ip
destination port
rule particulars (msg,content,classtype,sid,rev, etc.)

In this case, the source ip is [], which is an empty IP list.  IP lists are
generally enclosed in brackets thus:
[192.168.0.1/24,192.168.0.2/24].

I would recommend commenting the rule out.  It's basically worthless anyway.
It will create one alert per second for *any* traffic that passes snort.  It
looks like a test rule to confirm that snort is seeing traffic.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst