Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert help, web-client 3ivx MP4 file parsing cmt buffer overflow attempt

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:03:21 -0600

Hi,

1. If my system wasn't running the affected application, then it is a false positive, but may still be a genuine
attack, and that may be interesting to me.

 1.  This would be the case that I'm trying to verify by asking the question here.  This doesn't look like an MP4 file
to me, and my theory is that the alert is triggered falsely on this packet.

Further questions I have:

 1.  Content-Encoding: gzip, does this mean that the HTTP content is actually compressed, and what does snort do with
this, if anything?

 1.  Content-type field.  Can this be relied upon to determine whether or not the exploit was "real" ?  I've seen some
malware download files from website and the content type is text, but in the case of exploiting a browser or
browser-plugin, my instinct is that the content type needs to be accurate, or the browser/application isn't going to
process the data.  In the case below, of the media player exploit, if the type is a javascript, then it isn't going to
get played by Media Player (??).

Like I said, I've seen other alerts triggered by what looks like picture files to me (JPEG, GIF for instance).