Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple snorts on its own cpu core?

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:35:47 -0400

The most graceful, but expensive way, is that you will want to get a tap or card that is capable of splitting the traffic into multiple streams without losing session. The taps/cards will hash the header of the IP packet and using that algorithm will always deliver every packet of that TCP/UDP session to the same stream. Look into VSS Monitoring for doing it through a tap or Napatech/Endace for doing it through the card. I like the Napatech cards because they allow you to split the traffic into up to 32 streams so you can run 32 instances of Snort if you wanted to and they are super easy to configure.

The challenge is getting all the alerting output to go back into a single database for use. I configure snort to roll over the unified2 output once it reaches a 1mb file in size and I have a perl script monitor the snort output directory and process the files through barnyard2 and shove them into our sguil database.

-- Eoin