Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple snorts on its own cpu core?

From: Edward Bjarte Fjellskål <edward.fjellskal () redpill-linpro com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:59:06 +0100

Chan, Wilson wrote:
How do you run each instance of snort on its own CPU core? I have a
server that has 8 cores and vaguely remember someone on the list
mentioning it was possible to run snort on its own core. Thanks!

Hi Chan Wilson,
A basic way of doing this, is shown here (Linux):

----8<----
#!/bin/bash
PIDFILE="/var/run/snort_eth1.pid"

if [ -r $PIDFILE  ] && [ -s $PIDFILE ];then
    PID=`cat $PIDFILE`
    schedtool $PID
    schedtool -a 0x01 $PID
    schedtool -M 2 -p 10 $PID
    schedtool $PID
else
    echo "No pid file, or empty pidfile! - exit!"
fi
----8<----

Depending on your multi-setup, you should add some logic to
check for which snort instance you run, and pin that to a
different cpu 0x02 etc...

Read up on schedtool... there are some other tools that
you also can use for doing the same.

I also wrote this in my recent blogpost:
http://www.gamelinux.org/?p=81

But ill add the details shown here :)

Regards,
ebf0

*Wilson*

Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev